Monday, February 15, 2010

Otto Dix & Alfred Kubin

These two created some morbidly awesome art, as I discovered today at the Neue Gallery. Today was the last day of 'From Klimt to Klee: Masterworks From the Serge Sabarsky Collection.' I really loved a set of 4 Otto Dix ink drawings that were placed together next to his 'Mother And Child' painting. I flipped through the exhibit book in the museum store to see if they were in there (and if the book was worth buying), but sadly, no. The top right one depicted a sex murder, the victim being a male. The bottom right piece was 'Woman in a Feathered Hat', I believe. The bottom left one was of the same woman, but with a demonic face. I don't remember the top right picture in the series! I can't find these images online. I've seen Otto Dix stuff before, but never like this. An internet search also revealed his intense war art.

Alfred Kubin's stuff is mostly grey, macabre fairytale-like illustrations. He has very interesting depictions of women that can range from empowered, evil, and victimized. The pieces I saw almost always have a theme of death. There was one piece entitled 'Female Suicide' that had an Ophelia-esque body floating along a river, with a fish reflection beneath the water, perfectly mirroring the body. I found the others online:

'The Last King':



'Return to the Womb' or something...the one I saw seemed to have a less evil face!:



'Earth: Mother of Us All':



Here's a good NYT review of a previous Alfred Kubin exhibit at the Neue Gallery/

As a German-culture-and-arts in-the-early-20th-century nerd, I absolutely loved the Neue Gallery. They have a great collection of poster art, even a few Fritz Lang's! There are two gorgeous cafes that are modeled after Austrian cafes of the time. The museum also has a beautiful collection of decorative arts.

Oh, and I saw her.:

No comments: